STONE IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT
As Decadent as Sin
Stone Imperial Russian Stout is so thick, rich and, well, sinful, you might worry that you'll be doomed to the fiery pits just for thinking about a sip. Rest assured, however, that even though this seemingly pernicious brew is indeed as black as sin, we guarantee that no actual sin was committed in making it...you'll have to add that on your own. This massive and intensely aromatic beer abounds with notes of chocolate, coffee, black currants, anise and roastiness, and its heavy palate is nothing to be trifled with.
Provided by Mitch Steele, Brewmaster
- APPEARANCE Beer pours dark brown with a deep tan head.
- AROMA Cocoa and coffee aromas dominate, along with bourbon-like oak notes, fruity fermentation esters and some yeasty breadiness.
- TASTE Bittersweet cocoa and coffee flavors are the most prevalent, plus fruitiness and hints of anise and yeastiness, which are followed by a smooth, balanced, slightly astringent, bitter finish. As it warms and opens up, the beer becomes smoother and the roasted flavors strengthen.
- PALATE This beer is extremely full-bodied and smooth, with a hint of alcohol heat.
- OVERALL We haven’t changed this recipe much from the original version that Stone President & co-founder Steve Wagner created in 2000. It’s a fantastic beer, and we love brewing it every year!
Provided by "Dr." Bill Sysak, Craft Beer Ambassador
- APPETIZERS Caramel-dipped bacon, blue cheese-stuffed dates, oysters on the half shell, roasted pecans or walnuts
- SOUPS French onion, Hungarian goulash, beef stew, cream of mushroom
- ENTRÉES Beef steaks with rich cream-based sauces, goose or duck with cherry sauce, coffee-rubbed lamb chops, grilled, blue cheese-stuffed portobello mushrooms, vegetarian vindaloo curry
- CHEESES Point Reyes Bay Blue, Rogue River Blue, Roquefort, Gorgonzola Dolce, Stilton
- DESSERTS Chocolate lava cake, tiramisu, brownies, caramel cheesecake
- CIGARS Padrón Anniversary Series, La Reloba Selección Sumatra Torpedo, Illusione CG:4 Maduro